birding-aus

Red-backed Kingfisher, Dayboro, SE Qld.

Subject: Red-backed Kingfisher, Dayboro, SE Qld.
From: "Colin R" <>
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2006 19:16:38 +1000
Decided to try for the RB Kingfisher today. Reliable advice suggested
that 2.30-3.00pm was the best time so didn't rush out first thing in the
morning....
Keen to make a bit of a day of it though, I arrived at Samsonvale
Cemetry at 11.00 and went for a walk thru the grasslands. A pair of
Swamp Harriers, 3 or 4 Black-shouldered Kites, 2 Whistling Kites, 2
pairs of Brown Falcons and a lone Sea Eagle over a two hour period.
Usual duck, Black-winged Stilts, Pelicans, Swans ect on the water though
in much smaller numbers of course, due to the very low water level. 4
Red-necked Avocets and 3 Glossy Ibis were nice to see.
Arrived at the Kingfisher spot at 2.00 - no bird, wandered around the
immediate area, no bird, made and drank a cup of coffee, no bird.
wandered around the field again - no bird. 3.30 and a local landowner
who had watched me arrive one and a half hours ago...stopped to tell me
it had been seen 150m up the road this morning. Smiling thru gritted
teeth I walked up the road - no bird. A blue car had driven slowly by me
as I sat earlier and hadn't come back past me again - no bins visible,
but it hadn't acted like a local.... so I decided a drive up the road
wouldn't do any harm - set off and eventually came upon the bird's
finder - Judith who had just been watching the bird for 20 minutes....
I'll show you where... you guessed it, no bird. Slowly back down the
road to the orig spot... no bird. 4.20 and I reckon I have 30 minutes
left. Judith left wishing me well and promising to run away if she sees
me birding in future - afraid my luck will rub off! 4.30 and slowly back
up the road again and there in the small dead tree in the property on
the right, outlined against the dropping sun - a typical kingfisher
shape and, Yes, Yes, Yes, it's the BIRD!!! Managed to get a few
pictures, keepers to me only, and watched it until 4.50 when it looked
like it was settling down and I decided it was time for the 60 minute
drive home.
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa hhhhhhhhhhh birding!
Cheers
Colin