birding-aus

Re: White-winged Choughs, Sundown NP, Qld

To: "Philip Veerman" <>
Subject: Re: White-winged Choughs, Sundown NP, Qld
From: "Colin R" <>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2006 20:02:34 +1000
Philip
You may have a point - after all we had only pre paid the $4 per night
per person cost to camp in the National Park, so I suppose,
realistically, we contributed nothing at all, althou I did not ask for a
refund. As Sundown is 80 kms from Stanthorpe (nearest alternative
accomodation) we didn't consider it worthwhile to stay somewhere there
and return to Sundown the next morning or continue birding in Girraween,
for arguments sake.
My comments were a little tongue in cheek and absolutely no criticism of
my partner - who happens to be female - Sue has repeatedly joined me on
walks in search of birds and waited patiently while I oohed and aaahed
ect.
I don't really understand the point you're making regarding my
particular tale, but it is obviously critical in some way. I would agree
that it is over optimistic to state that birders contribute a lot of $s
to local economy - certainly in Australia, especially when you consider
the small number of birders and the fact that a lot of the best
locations are remote and local accom is probably limited. I did travel
(with Sue in fact) thru northern parts of NSW a couple of years ago and
stayed in various accomodations - all of them paid for and no camping. I
actually enjoy camping and often prefer it, I didn't feel there was an
alternative option last weekend. Why do I feel I have to defend myself?
Unfortunately once again I almost regret describing a weekend in any but
the barest detail.
Thankyou for the info regarding the Chough's eyes, your bird comments
and observations are always worthwhile and appreciated by all.
Have a good day.

Colin.