birding-aus

Cassowaries at Kuranda

Subject: Cassowaries at Kuranda
From: Sue & Phil Gregory <>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2006 12:58:46 +1000
It's that sad time of year when the male Cassowary finally abandons his two by now quite well-grown chicks, and this year June 13 was the day, after constant association with the male since we first saw them as tiny stripy chicks back on Oct 27 05. The bonds do loosen towards the end as they range farther apart, but the piercing distress call of the chick always brings the male back in a hurry, sometimes with just a quiet reassuring low, dry, double gruff note if close-by already. When they are ready to move off, the male gives a much louder, deeper less dry triple series of more elongated deep notes asa signal, then away they go. Jun 13 was the last day we saw the male near the chicks, and the shrill and emphatic rising distress calls now bring no response, as the clearly anxious youngsters cast about wondering where the parent has gone. The chicks squabble amongst themselves, one giving a gruff loud hiss if the other impinges too close, but they are still together for a while. What will happen next is the male will be away for a few days, but when he returns he will have forgotten about his chicks and will now see them as rivals to be chased off, which will mean vicious chases and fights until the chicks are finally driven away. Prospects for survival are grim this year as food is scarcer than usual due to the battering the forests took over the wet, and without supplementary feeding I would be amazed if either make it, especially as the territories along the prime habitat of Black Mountain Road are all occupied so they will have to go farther afield into more disturbed and less optimal habitat. Happens every year, but still quite a sad time for us as we see them most days for months. This year is also interesting as we have a sub-adult male (whom we name Harry) now coming most days, and fighting with the long- established dominant male when they meet. The female is also showing interest in him rather than driving him off as she did when he was less well-coloured in 2005, so the prospect arises of two sets of parents and chicks interacting here at some point, we shall see. I was looking at HANZAB Vol 1 the other day, and noted the statement that the adults colour can change with mood, which we find surprising as we have never seen this in our 8 years here, with hundreds of sightings of cassowaries and many different kinds of behaviour. I would say that they get a brighter colouration in the breeding season, females particularly, but we have never noted colour changes with mood (is this the same as blushing?). Has anyone else actually seen cassowaries colour change?
Good Birding
Phil and Sue Gregory
www. cassowary-house.com.au