birding-aus

Scarlet-chested Parrot Gluepot

To: "'Birding-Aus'" <>
Subject: Scarlet-chested Parrot Gluepot
From: "Alan Benson" <>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2006 19:58:32 +1000
Scarlet-chested Parrots are still being seen at Gluepot. I saw 4 on the
Sunday 11/6/06.  The birds were seen at 7.30 am near Whistler Tank. I
had just arrived at the site to find at least 10 birders already staking
out the "hot spot" just west of the seat. Being undecided about the best
tactic, I had decided to walk from the seat toward the hide when 4
parrots flew over my head and landed on a branch 20 metres away. They
had been feeding on the ground between the seat and the tank and
somebody had flushed them. My binoculars revealed three brilliant male
Scarlet-chested Parrots plus a 4th of undetermined sex as it had its
back to me. 2 of the males looked to me to be sub-adult as the red in
the breast didn't seem as complete as the other really splendid male.
The parrots perched for about 2 minutes before flying off in a southerly
direction pursued by a bevy of very determined birders.

Parrots were seen about 8.30 am on Friday 9th feeding in the area west
of the seat.

Regards

Allan Benson