birding-aus

BA-VIC Group Pelagic Report; Port Fairy 4.06.06

To: "BIRDING-AUS" <>
Subject: BA-VIC Group Pelagic Report; Port Fairy 4.06.06
From: "Mike Carter" <>
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2006 13:25:01 +1000
SUMMARY: On this occasion we experienced wind speeds at the top of the forecast
range so it was rougher than anticipated. A total of 11-13 Giant-Petrels with
both species together within a metre of the back of the boat while berleying
was one of several highlights. Albatrosses were numerous and Cape Petrels &
Grey-backed Storm-Petrels nice to watch at close range but there were no real
rarities. Two ANTARCTIC PRIONS were the most unusual birds seen.

OBSERVERS:  Chris Lester (organiser), Tim Bawden, Rob Berry, Rohan Clarke, Gail
D'Alton, Brian Johnston, Rosemary Lester, Charles Smith, David Stickney, Paul
Sutherland, Dave Torr, Kaye Varlow & Mike Carter (leader & reporter).

WEATHER: A large anticyclone to 1034 hPa was centred to our west over the Great
Australian Bight. The cloud cover was low and partial all day with about equal
periods of sun and shade and intermittent icy drizzle showers throughout the
morning. Otherwise it was clear but cold. Wind was from the SE at ~15
moderating to ~10 Kts from noon. Given the weather system it is difficult to
see what generated the wind. The forecast was for 10-15 moderating to 5-10.

SEA:  The sea was moderate (>1.0 m) on a medium SSE swell, normally 1-1.5 m but
larger beyond the shelf. So it was a bumpy ride out with a fair degree of spray
but reasonably comfortable on the way in apart from twice when it yawed and
tipped suddenly (broached). No one was sick.

ACTIVITY: Sailed from Port Fairy (PF) (38º23.3'S 142º14.5'E) at 07.15. We went
out on our usual course of ~205º at 13.1 Kts, pausing once to check out 2 adult
White-fronted Terns, and crossed the shelf break at 09.50. Our first berley
stop was at 10.00 @ 38º49.2'S 141º53.8'E in 270 fathoms. By 10.50, when we
moved on, we had drifted in to 193 fathoms. Our shark-liver and fish berley
attracted a fair range of birds including 80 albatrosses. Then we headed
westwards to a ~700 fathom deep canyon at 38º52.2'S 141º49.4'E and berleyed
there from 11.20 to 12.20. Then we sailed north to the shelf-break @ 38º47.9'S
141º47.6'E and berleyed there from 12.40 to 13.10 before heading in. Many birds
were following us around but although some passed on, new arrivals added to the
ever-increasing number present. Enroute back to PF, we cruised portions of the
western and northern shores of Lady Julia Percy Island (LJPI) between 15.10 &
15.30. Docked at 16.30.

MAMMALS:

Australian Fur Seals: Only 2 away from LJPI where there were hundreds but
seemingly, fewer than usual. No cetaceans.

BIRDS: 24 species [27 taxa] of seabird observed beyond the river mouth
indicated fair diversity. Noticeable absentees were Short-tailed Shearwater and
Skuas. Albatross's were fairly numerous. Unless noted otherwise, all listed
below were near or beyond the shelf break (i.e. pelagic). Highlights are in
capitals. Bracketed numbers are the highest number present simultaneously.

Little Penguin: 4 (2), 2 inshore & 2 on LJPI.

COMMON DIVING_PETREL: 2 (1) offshore.

SOUTHERN GIANT-PETREL: 1.

NORTHERN GIANT-PETREL: 8 (7).

Giant-Petrel spp?: 4 (3) inshore.

Cape Petrel: 30 (20). Going out, 2 inshore & 2 offshore. Then numbers built up
at

each berley stop and some followed us in to LJPI.

Great-winged Petrel: 15 (8) all but one were neat nominate-race birds. One
browner

individual, possibly gouldi, had a pale belly.

ANTARCTIC PRION: 2 (1). Noticeably larger & longer tailed than the Fairy Prions

with a substantial black tip to upper tail & triangular patch on undertail.

Fairy Prion: 75 (10), 40 inshore, 30 offshore & 5 pelagic.

Sooty Shearwater: 2 (1).

Fluttering Shearwater: 9 (3) inshore.

Wilson's Storm-Petrel: 4 (3).

GREY-BACKED STORM-PETREL: 20 (15).

White-faced Storm-Petrel: 1 offshore.

WANDERING ALBATROSS: 11 (6). 8 exulans, at least one of each plumage stage

from 1 to 7 (snowy-type), 1 gibsoni (smaller) stage 4 and 2 [antipodensis]

dark capped birds, stage 3/4 plumage.

Black-browed Albatross: 85 (40), 10 inshore, 15 offshore & 60 pelagic.

Melanophrys: 80. 70 ads, 8 sub-ads, 2 juvs. Impavida: 5, 3 ads, 2 sub-adults.

Shy Albatross cauta: 110 (50), 20 inshore, 10 offshore & 80 pelagic.

            100 adults, 8 sub-ads, 2 juvs.

Yellow-nosed Albatross: 3 (2) adults.

BULLER'S ALBATROSS: 5 (3) adults.

Australasian Gannet: 33 (5). 20 inshore, 10 offshore & 3 pelagic.

Black-faced Cormorant: 3 on LJPI.

Kelp Gull: 14 on LJPI incl. 3 juvs.

Silver Gull: 24. 10 inshore & 14 on LJPI.

Crested Tern: 13 (4). 1 on LJPI, 10 inshore & 2 pelagic.

White-fronted Tern: 2 (2) adults inshore.

Mike Carter
30 Canadian Bay Road
Mt Eliza    VIC     3930
Ph:  (03) 9787 7136