birding-aus

Bowerbird behaviour

Subject: Bowerbird behaviour
From: "James Lambert" <>
Date: Sun, 04 Jun 2006 12:21:32 +1000
I was lucky enough, and quite surprised, to find a satin bowerbird bower in the bushland of Milray Reserve in Wollstonecraft, Sydney. It was there two years running 2003-2004.

The bower was littered with various blue objects taken from the surrounding suburbia, and the litter found throughout the bush remnant. However, amongst all the blue was one small, strikingly yellow flower - family Compositae.

Anyhow, one morning I was able to watch a male sbb perform a mating dance of some sort. It sang an incredbily complex song and to this song, in time as it were, it ruffled its feathers in all manner of way, fanned its tail, hopped up and down, did a jig, twirled about, bobbed its head. This was all very fascinating - but, the most amazing thing was the yellow flower. This the bowerbird used to dance with. It picked it up and held it in its beak while performing, and also spent a lot of time dropping it and picking it back up again in a kind of ritualistic way.

Since then I have noticed other yellow objects, usually just one, amongst satin bowerbird display object sets.

Has anyone else observed this behaviour?

James Lambert