birding-aus

Honeyeaters Central Tablelands

Subject: Honeyeaters Central Tablelands
From: Chris Ross <>
Date: Mon, 29 May 2006 22:30:09 +1000
I was at a site I get to regularly on the Ilford- Sofala road, at around 1000m altitude last weekend. The area is farming contry, however this property has a lot of stringybark woodland and is connected to a large wooded area. Quite a few shrubs have been planted on site including Banksia marginata.

On the weekend I saw a lone male Crescent honeyeater feeding in the Banksias and getting involved in disputes with the local spinebills. First time I've seen one there in about 10 years plus of going there and watching the birdlife. Also I saw a white plumed honeyeater which is definitely not a regular on site, I've seen one in the past. Quite a few white eared honeyeaters around as well, they are more normally down in the gullies around there.

Chris Ross