birding-aus

RFI Central Australia

To: "'Frank Hemmings'" <>
Subject: RFI Central Australia
From: "Bob Cook" <>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2006 13:41:46 +1000
Hi Frank

Gee, you certainly want them all!!  What about the Grey Honeyeater?

I can give you the following based on time we spent in the Centre both this
February and May last year.

Spinifex Pigeon - Ormiston Gorge, either in the campground or on the first
section (about 1st 1.5 kms) of the Ormiston Pound walk

Black-breasted Buzzard - near the Aboriginal visitor Centre at Uluru (there
is a nest in a tree on the right about 200 - 300m before you get to the
Centre) or we saw a couple soaring/cruising while on the road between Uluru
and Kings Canyon and a perched pair just near the junction of the Kings
Canyon road and the road into Kathleen Springs (near Kings Canyon)

Spotted Nightjar - slowly cruise the road out to the Yulara airport in the
evening - they hunt over the road.  Alternatively, if you can get on to the
road that goes out to the Yulara waste water treatment plant in the evening
(need local directions and a little bit against the rules!)

Redthroat - we saw a couple in the bush near the Yulara rubbish dump (also
need local knowledge)

Dusky Grasswren - Kings Canyon rim walk - apparently have been seen in a few
places around there.

Red-browed Pardalote - the short walk from Ellery Creek Big Hole

Slaty-backed Thornbill - around Kunoth Bore - in the bush close to the
windmill itself.  Also in a few other places, but need to be careful with ID
from Chestnut-rumped.

Grey Honeyeater - on the Hamilton Downs Camp road near Kunoth Bore, about
3.5 kms off the Tanami Rd, on the right, mid-height in Mulga tree

Banded Whiteface - seen on the Yulara Airport road and also on the road out
to the Yulara WWTP

Grey-headed Honeyeater - at Uluru on the Mutijulu walk, but also fairly
common around the area  (or was that the Grey-fronted - I get mixed up
remembering which was where, but both are in the same areas, but one is more
common! - I think that is the Grey-headed)

Western Bowerbird - Ormiston Pound walk and Emily Gap - good chance anywhere
you can find a fig tree - in 1998 they were hanging around the Ormiston
Gorge campground.

Painted Finch - between the homestead and the waterhole at Glen Helen - also
in the Gorge near the waterhole at Ormiston Gorge

All the above are OK in 2wd.

Bob Cook
Mildura  VIC.