birding-aus

RFI Central Australia

To: <>
Subject: RFI Central Australia
From: "Frank Hemmings" <>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2006 10:28:12 +1000
Hi All,
I'm heading off with my partner on a brief not-entirely-birding holidayin few weeks, starting out at Uluru for a few nigths, then heading up to Kings Canyon for a night and then on to Alice Springs. We are planning at least a one day drive out through the West MacDonnells, and i was also thinking possibly Trephina Gorge too. We will be hiring a vehicle, and it will only be a 2wd. Any thoughts on where to see the following would be appreciated:

Little Buttonquail
Diamond Dove
Spinifex Pigeon
Black-breasted Kite
Spotted Nightjar
Chiming Wedgebill
Ground Cuckoo-shrike
Spinifexbird
Rufous-crowned emu-wren
Dusky Grasswren
Striated Grasswren - gather this is a near impossibility
Red-browed Pardalote
Slaty-backed Thornbill
Redthroat
Banded Whiteface
Grey-fronted Honeyeater
Grey-headed Honeyeater
Golden-backed honeyeater
Western Bowerbird
Painted Finch

I realise that some will hopefully be common and widespread, whereas others will be downright near impossible, or just plain lucky, but any help appreciated. thanks in advance.

Frank

Frank Hemmings
Curator
John T. Waterhouse Herbarium
School of Biological, Earth and Environmental Sciences
University of New South Wales
UNSW SYDNEY 2052
AUSTRALIA

Tel +61 2 9385 3274