birding-aus

New birds in Fig Tree Pocket, Brisbane

To: <>, "Chris Sanderson" <>
Subject: New birds in Fig Tree Pocket, Brisbane
From: "Bruce Cox" <>
Date: Mon, 22 May 2006 13:42:03 +1000
From: "Andrew Taylor" <>
To: "Chris Sanderson" <>
Cc: "Birding-aus" <>
Sent: Sunday, May 21, 2006 9:50 PM

Hello Birding-aussers,

I was interested in Andrew's comment about studies at the Canberra Botanic
Gardens indicating all male Superb Fairy-wrens going into eclipse plumage
during winter.

My experience is that in the Sydney region, and particulary Sydney's
Northern Beaches where I live, is that one male in each group remains in
breeding plumage throught the year, I assumed this was the dominant male. I
have certainly seen males in breeding plumage in all months.

I think the same applies with Variagated Fairy-wrens in Sydney although I
have less evidence here. Certainly I have seen (and commented on to others)
male Variagated Wrens seen in June/July in breeding plumage. On the other
hand I have never seen male Splendid Wrens in breeding plumage on winter
visits to the mallee.

Could this be a temperature thing, males going into eclipse plumage in
colder climes or where the winters are longer? I can't think of a good
reason why but there must be some explanation.

Bruce Cox.