birding-aus

Boondall Wetlands & Kedron Brook, QLD.

Subject: Boondall Wetlands & Kedron Brook, QLD.
From: <>
Date: Mon, 22 May 2006 01:58:29 +0000
Hello Everyone,

I went in to Brisbane and the Boondall Wetlands yesterday afternoon and evening (both east and western sections) and came up with a reasonable list, some species seen for the first time this year. Some of the more interesting birds were a Collared Kingfisher feeding on the mangrove flats. Also there were a couple of Osprey, a Brahminy Kite, several Bar-tailed Godwit, three Pacific Golden Plover, a Striated Heron, Red-capped Plover and Whimbrel, just to name a few. Great Place! Only drawback was the multitude of people. I'll be steering away from here on the weekend from now on.

Later that evening, on dark, I met up with Dan Mantle and we set about walking along the tracks through Kedron Brook Wetlands looking for the Grass Owl. After about an hour listening to crickets and the occasional frog, watching the odd fruit bat fly by, we noticed one to our west come towards us and, when we shone our spotlights on it, it seemed half-interested, approached at a height of approximately 30 metres for a look and disappeared off to the north. The long legs dragging behind the tail were clearly seen and just like that another lifer (for me) pops up.

Regards,
Michael

Send 1c txt to other Telstra Pre-Paid Plus mobiles. Join now http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Fadsfac%2Enet%2Flink%2Easp%3Fcc%3DTEL185%2E19163%2E0%26clk%3D1%26creativeID%3D29997&_t=754399967&_m=EXT