birding-aus

NSW Prospect Reservoir & Shanes Park CBOC outing - 20th May 2006

To: "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: NSW Prospect Reservoir & Shanes Park CBOC outing - 20th May 2006
From: "Edwin Vella" <>
Date: Sat, 20 May 2006 22:43:43 +1000
Today, 20th May 2006, I showed 20 or so Cumberland Birds Observers Club
members 3 good birding spots within or around the Blacktown Shire
(approx. 40 - 50 km NW of Sydney CBD).

We first visited Hyland Rd in Greystanes (just outside Prospect) were in
a cleared area with a variety of planted acacias we saw good numbers of
Red-browed, Double-barred Finches, Nutmeg Mannikins, an obliging
female/immature Rose Robin on a fence, good comparisons between Striated
and Spotted Pardalotes and a Whistling Kite flying overhead.

We spent the rest of the morning and around noon at Prospect Reservoir
were we saw 3 species of Grebe (at least 60 Great-crested, 18
Hoary-headed and 4 Australasian Grebe), the resident pair of adult
White-bellied Sea-eagles, 2-3 Whistling Kites, thousands of Coots, 2
Bar-shouldered Doves, a number of Brown Gerygones, Golden Whistlers,
Mistlebirds and both Spotted and Striated Pardalotes. Most Great Crested
Grebes were seen in or moulting into non-breeding plumage.

While having lunch, we enjoyed watching one of the Sea-eagles making
several but unsuccessful attempts to catch one of many of Coots that had
formed a tight raft.

We also had saw a Brown Goshawk and heard a few Musk Lorikeets,
Red-rumped Parrots and Restless Flycatcher just outside the reservoir.

In the afternoon we spent a good hour or so at Shanes Park (a suburb in
the western outskirts of the Blacktown Shire) were we saw 2 Little
Eagles (both dark and light morph birds), 2 Speckled Warblers, several
Varied Sitellas, Weebills, Buff-rumped Thornbills and heard a couple
more Rose Robins.

Three Eastern Grey Kangaroos at Shanes Park also put on a good show.

It was an enjoyable day indeed.

Edwin Vella