birding-aus

Fraser Island Bird Week - Day 4

To: <>
Subject: Fraser Island Bird Week - Day 4
From: "Lee & Margi" <>
Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 18:44:51 +1000
Today's adventure involved a 4wd tour into the centre of the island with the
first stop about 40 mins drive into the forest and then a 15 min walk to
Basin Lake - Birds sighted were

Grey Shrike Thrush

Rainbow Lorikeets

Grey Fantails

Crows

Scaly Breasted Lorikeets

Lewins Honeyeaters

Australasian Grebes

After that we took the 50min walk to Central Station through thick forests
of Satinay Trees and palms with the only birds seen being Rainbow Lorikeets
and Scaly Breasted Lorikeets.

During morning tea at Central Station we only saw a Grey Butcherbird and a
crow.  Sufficiently full of cookies and muffins we all decided to walk to
the next stop, Pile Valley.  This involved another 50min walk this time
through some spectacular rainforest, crystal clear streams and massive
1000year old trees.  Unfortunately birds were scarce with sightings of only
Eastern Yellow Robins, Grey Shrike Thrush, Mistletoebirds, Scarlet
Honeyeater and heaps of Large Billed Scrubwrens (score another new bird for
me!).

After lunch we were driven to Lake McKenzie which whilst very beautiful was
somewhat spoilt by the number of tourists crowding around the lake.  Despite
the noise and crowds we managed to sight Little Shrike Thrush, Red Browed
Finches, Crows, and Little Pied Cormorants.  Unfortunately the Musk Ducks
sighted earlier in the week had moved away.

After returning to the resort (now about 4:30pm) we sighted the usual
Pelicans, Crested Terns, Welcome Swallows, Bar Shouldered Doves, White
Cheeked Honeyeaters, White Throated Honeyeaters and the resident Buff Banded
Rail.

Thanks again

Lee

EABLE_RELAY=0.001]