birding-aus

OBPs at Werribee Treatment Plant

To: <>
Subject: OBPs at Werribee Treatment Plant
From: "chris" <>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 21:47:46 +1000
G'day birders,

Following-up on Dave Torr's sighting of an OBP at the WTP yesterday, and an
unconfirmed sighting by participants in Sunday's OBP survey, I spent a few
hours down at the farm this afternoon.  After much fruitless searching of
the track networks and other likely haunts, I flushed 5 OBPs off a track up
near the conservation lagoons, where there was an abundance of seeding
weeds.  The birds flew directly towards the bay and dropped out of sight and
despite a good search, I failed to relocate the birds.

If birders visiting the WTP, or indeed anywhere else, happen to see OBPs
they are reminded to do the following:

*         contact me as soon as possible on 03 9882 2622, 0409 235 263 or
email:

*         take a precise GPS reading of the exact site where the OBPs were
seen, or alternatively mark the site with flagging tape, take an odometer
reading or draw a sketch map (whatever it takes to make it possible for the
site to be re-visited for habitat assessment purposes)

*         take note of whether any OBPs are colour-banded, and if so, please
record the band colours and try to observe the letter printed on the metal
band

Some of the other highlights of the day included an Australasian Bittern
flushed from reeds near Lake Borrie, a small group of White-winged Black
Terns over the Lake Borrie area, some gorgeous breeding plumage Black-tailed
Godwits at the Borrow Pits, and up to 30 Freckled Duck in all (seen over a
few different ponds).

Earlier in the day, I visited Cheetham wetlands at Point Cook (again chasing
up an OBP sighting!), where highlights included 8 Blue-winged Parrots, great
views of a Lewin's Rail, two coveys of Brown Quail and plenty of Striated
Calamanthus.

Chris Tzaros

(Melbourne)