birding-aus

Brown Falcon in forest

To: Steve <>
Subject: Brown Falcon in forest
From: John Tongue <>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 09:07:55 +1000
Steve,
Sounds like you had a good outing for some of our endemics (apart from the 40-spots)!

A local birder was there on the same day, and reports (both verbally and visually -see his blog at www.tassiebirds.blogspot.com) seeing two Brown Falcons chasing and fighting one another - perhaps a territorial dispute. Great photos on the Blog.

Maybe this is why the Brown you saw was in amongst the trees - either fleeing the other bird, or pursuing it. Interesting that both of you seem to have reported on pretty much the same incident!

John Tongue
Hobart