birding-aus

Kookaburra learning to laugh

Subject: Kookaburra learning to laugh
From: "Frank O'Connor" <>
Date: Wed, 03 May 2006 02:26:34 +0800
   I received the following query about a kookaburra learning to laugh.
   If anyone has any ideas, then please include Margaret in on the reply
   (email

From: "teddybearmargaret" <>
     To: <>
     Subject: A query about a kookaburra
Date: Tue, 2 May 2006 17:21:20 +0800
     Hi Frank, I hope you may be able to help me with my query and if
     not maybe you can let me know how would be able to.
     We live on a farm 14 kilometres east of Geraldton.
     About October last year a nest couple of kookaburras had a baby and
     we were fascinated watching it learn to laugh, which it did in a
     couple of weeks.
     Then the parent birds had another young one just after Christmas.
     It is a male and he has never learned to laugh properly. We have
     been amused, annoyed and frustrated listening to him constantly
     trying to laugh. He gets to the kook kook kook kook section but can
     never get onto the the ka ka ka ka section of the laugh. We are
     wondering if this is common. Perhaps we need to get a kookaburra
     speech therapist for him.
     It would be interesting to know if this is common or unusual.
     Thank you for taking my email
     Margaet Adamson
     Moonyoonook
     Western Australia

   Frank O'Connor           Birding WA [1]http://birdingwa.iinet.net.au
   Phone : (08) 9386 5694              Email :