birding-aus

Field Guides, Song CDs, Guide Books

Subject: Field Guides, Song CDs, Guide Books
From: Chris Ross <>
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2006 11:09:54 +1000
Drew,

I'd recommend looking at Morecombes field guide, there is a full size and a pocket edition. I like the colour coded tabs and it has some good information in the text.

As far as CDs go, I'd suggest looking at Dave Stewarts naturesound series:

http://www.naturesound.com.au/

Good quality recordings, though the range is not complete, they have no commentary and there a couple of new releases that I have not listened to as yet. For a more complete range, Fred Van Gessel has a series split up by state, each species is identified before the call is played. Again good quality recordings. You get them direct from him, his contact details are: fredvg at trentvale dot com dot au .

There are specific local field guides as well, Niven McCrie has put out a where to find Birds around Darwin book ISBN 0-646-42183-2, which I bought and found useful. I'd also recommend trying to get Lloyd Nielsen's book, "birds of Queensland's Wet Tropics and Great Barrier Reef" ISBN 0-646-27200-4. The book is a labour of love and is very detailed. I think you can pick them up locally, not sure how to go about getting one online. You'll also want "A field guide to the Mammals of Australia" by Menkhorst and Knight. As far as general guide books the Lonely Planet Books I found quite useful, I have Outback Australia and the Queensland book. The Hema maps are the standard for accurate maps for navigating in the outback, I had one for the Kimberley, Cape York and one covering the central deserts where I was travelling.

regards,

Chris Ross