birding-aus

emu mobility

To: crompton <>
Subject: emu mobility
From: brian fleming <>
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 17:17:25 +1000
crompton wrote:

Does anybody know if Emu's are able to somehow bridge between paddocks with
fences? Just had a thought and was curious, no other reason
regards G.Crompton

I have seen Emus crossing fences in the Little Desert area (Vic.)- a ridiculous sight. They cannot hurdle a fence, they just run up to the fence, and half-fall, half slide over the top on their chests. If it's barbed-wire they lose a lot of feathers and may be cut. If there are twisted wires, they may get their feet caught and tangled, with probably fatal results. On one occcasion Father Emu got over the fence, but his striped babies were quite unable to get through the rabbit wire panel below the top wires. They ran up and down and father didn't know whether to run on away from our car or go back to them. Fortunately the next gate had a gap and the babies wriggled through, and a few yards further on they were all able to get into a less well-fenced paddock.

I have sometimes seen Emus poke their heads through below the top wire and thread themselves through, falling in a disorderly heap on the far side, and of course losing a lot of feathers en route. They picked themselves up and ran on.
Anthea Fleming
Melbourne