birding-aus

Little Stint Lake Murphy Nth Vic

To: "Birding Australia" <>
Subject: Little Stint Lake Murphy Nth Vic
From: "Chris Coleborn" <>
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 14:41:55 +1000
G'day All,

Yesterday, Tuesday 18th April, Rohan Clarke let a couple of us locals know that he had spotted a Little Stint among the considerable number of migratory waders still to be found at Lake Murphy, Nth Vic.

Today Simon Starr, David Parker and myself visited the Lake. There are no duck hunters around at the moment, and this is reflected in the large number of species and over all numbers of birds present.

While we noted about 65 species of birds, our focus was on migratory waders and especially the Little Stint Rohan reported. We saw Double-banded Plovers (2), Black-tailed Godwit (5) coming into magnificent breeding plumage, Red-necked Stint (200) in all shades of developing breeding plumage, Long-toed Stint (3), Sharp-tailed Sandpiper (120), Wood Sandpiper (1), Common Greenshank (6) & Marsh Sandpiper (2). But to top them all was a Little Stint coming into breeding plumage. We had great views of it for some time as it preened and then fed. We were able to clearly see its white chin and throat above its partly but still not fully coloured and marked chest (gorget), its breeding colour on its back more noticeably orange-chestnut than the surrounding coloured Red-necked Stints, and its distinct white edges to its mantle forming a marked white 'v' on its back. Great!

It was on the western side of Lake Murphy, 1.4 km from the gate entrance from Bott Road. It was in from a fenced off plantation of trees.

Thanks for the birthday present Rohan and for sharing the present with me Simon and David!

Regards,

Chris Coleborn