birding-aus

Bird movement after Cyclone Larry.

To: <>
Subject: Bird movement after Cyclone Larry.
From: "Del Richards" <>
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2006 22:33:08 +1000
    A number of observers on the periphery of the area devastated by Cyclone
Larry have been watching for apparent bird movement into other locations as
species endeavour to relocate to better feeding opportunities.
    Last Thursday in twenty minutes I noted five Woompoo Fruit-Doves around the
streets of Port Douglas. Prior to then I had one single record locally in
eleven years as they don't normally venture away from the foothills to beach
areas.
    This morning (17/04/06) I was watching similar locations in the hope of
picking them up for my guests. We happened on to a White Cedar well in fruit
and were able get nice views of a single Woompoo. On approaching the bird for a
better view we disturbed at least 22 others in the same tree. They only flew to
adjacent trees and returned within a minute or so.
    It would appear that they jealously guarding their food resource as though
famished. It is normal practice that they dominate other smaller species such
as fig birds in prime feeding trees.
    Up the same street I saw my first Brown Cuckoo-Dove in Port Douglas.
    The numbers of Sacred Kingfisher around Mossman last week was about double
the average which is also probably tied to lack of food availability further
South.
    Other than these records the only other thing that's different is the
numbers of Silver-eyes on the coast locally when they are normally live at
higher altitudes.

Del. Richards, Fine Feathers, Mossman, NQ.