birding-aus

Crested Pigeon in Victoria

Subject: Crested Pigeon in Victoria
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 12:32:56 +1000
Some information on the extension of range by Crested Pigeon's in
Victoria.

The old (1987, p. 140) Atlas of Victorian Birds shows the range of the
species up to the mid 1980s as being limited to northern Victoria, with
just a handful of records south of the Great Dividing Range.  The text
accompanying the map says in part 'Their range has increased greatly in
this century; before then they were confined mainly to the arid interior
of Australia.'

An examination of current distribution of Crested Pigeon data in the Atlas
of Victorian Wildlife indicates that there are now records from
- coastal locations (Nelson, Orbost and Mallacoota)
- in and around Melbourne
- the Mornington Peninsula, and
- the La Trobe Valley in Gippsland
- Colac and Hamilton regions
- from the Geelong area

There are also other records I'm sure.  I encourage observers to send
their sightings to the atlas so we can keep track of these movements.

cheers

Martin O'Brien
Threatened Species & Communities Section
Department of Sustainability and Environment
2/8 Nicholson St. (PO Box 500), East Melbourne  3002