birding-aus

Tilting at Windmills

To: Birding-aus <>
Subject: Tilting at Windmills
From: Carl Clifford <>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 11:27:54 +1000
I have recenty spent a few years living part-time in the South of France near several wind farms. There were no reports of bird strike while I was there, I actually have spent several pleasant days birding for Griffon vultures, along the ridge-top where the nearest wind-farm was, amongst the turbines. I think if a bird the size of a Gyps could avoid turbines successfully, most other species could. If There was a bit of an outcry about the visual pollution, though mainly by foreign blow-ins who were more worried about the possible reduction in capital gain on their holiday house.

I find it amazing how some people don't want wind farms, large solar arrays, tidal power, more dams, or nuclear as possible energy sources, then wail about greenhouse gas emissions and environmental damage from mining and oil extraction. If anyone would like to see some of the environmental effects of the status quo, i suggest they take a drive along the Golden Highway through the Hunter Valley in NSW. While you gaze in wonderment at the devastation, think about the tens of thousands of hectares earmarked for the same destruction. Whenever I drive this road, I think how much more pleasant a few wind -farms would look.

At least this subject will help fuel many a discussion over the years, at least until a future NSW government decides to dam the Colo Valley as an answer to Sydney's water problem.

Cheers
Carl Clifford
Send instant messages to your online friends http://au.messenger.yahoo.com ===============================