birding-aus

Quail on the golf course

Subject: Quail on the golf course
From: David Berg <>
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2006 15:24:12 +1000 (EST)
The only birdie I got at Canterbury Golf Course (Moorefileds Rd,
Roselands,Sydney) last tuesday was a  quail being viciously harrassed by noisy
miners. Couldn't really get a good look at it as it flew off as I approached
and i didn't have my glasses on, but it was a very drab, plain brown and about
the size of a small rat, which is what i first thought it was. It eventually
flew across the road into a garden trail by the miners. Any suggestions as to
which quail or button quail it may be?
  There was also some ravens having a great time stealing golf balls as usual,
and a small group of wood ducks grazing on the greens and making putting
difficult with their droppings!

  Dave Berg