birding-aus

Broome and beyond

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Broome and beyond
From: "Wim Vader" <>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 12:04:31 +0200

        Birding Aussers,
                                I just saw the RFI from Shirley Cameron on
behalf of a Belgian family, traveling from Broome via Darwin to Cairns. I
wonder if it would be feasible to send me copies of this info
 as we plan a quite simlar tour in August, although in
the opposite direction. Riet and I will fly to Brisbane, arriving there 26.
July, where we hope to meet up with my elder daughter and family; they are
sailing around the world and will arrive in that area from New Caledonia around
that date, hopefully. On 1 August we meet up in Cairns with two other couples,
the Krapp family of Bonn, Germany and the Bradburys from Adelaide, and embark
on a month long trip in N. Australia. We first stay a week in the Cairns area,
and will visit i.a. Daintree, Julatten and Alan Gillanders in Yungaburra, so
that I'll finally will get to see all these places I have heard so much about
through Birding-aus. On 8 August we'll fly to Darwin, where we'll rent a 4WD.
We'll spend some days in the Top End, and then will make our way along the Gibb
River Road to Broome, ending up with a few days at the Ornithological Station
there. So, as you see, the opposite route from the Belgians, but largely
visiting the same places.

                                I shall be very grateful for all information
about places not to miss along this route, and about web sites, trip reports
and other literature that can help us find the birds, and the right places to
look for them. In addition, we need advise on plant literature; I think we are
well enough helped with books about the birds, mammals and herps, but we have
not found good books on the plants we are going to find there, and our group
(with four biologists among the six participants)intends to make this a general
nature trip rather than a just birding trip. (And yes, we shall also collect
amphipods!)

                                So, please, help out still another visitor to
your rich and diverse country. Many thanks in advance!

                                                                Wim Vader,
Tromsø Museum
                                                                9037 Tromsø,
Norway