birding-aus

Raven with pebble - to what end?

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Raven with pebble - to what end?
From: "Tom and Mandy Wilson" <>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 21:02:58 +1100
Hi all
I walked across Hyde Park in the Sydney CBD on Monday 13 March to view the Wildlife Photography exhibition at the Australian Museum - (as always, a great show - it finishes on Sunday, so if you are in Sydney and get a chance to go, do so!)
On my way back to the office near the War Memorial, I spotted a Raven carrying what I initially thought was an egg in its bill.  Closer inspection, which the Raven was not keen on(!), revealed that it was actually carrying a smooth white pebble, roughly the size and shape of a mandarin segment. It clearly had something in mind for the pebble as it regularly shifted its grip on the stone (I could hear the mandibles clacking on the stone).  The bird clambered about in a low growing pine tree and it looked like it was trying to find a niche in which to place the stone.  It then moved to a larger gum tree, at which point the Noisy Miners spotted it and descended - the Raven departed, still gripping its stone.
Any ideas on the purpose?
Cheers
Tom Wilson