birding-aus

Swift Parrot at Bateau Bay NSW

To: <>
Subject: Swift Parrot at Bateau Bay NSW
From: "alan morris" <>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 10:46:03 +1100
Hi Birders,

Here at Murray Street Bateau Bay, my house is located in a group of streets that are lined with and or also have on the blocks, very large Blackbutts (Euc. pilularis) and Coast Bloodwoods (Corymbia gummifera) which are currently in flower. This part of Bateau Bay is on a north facing slope which then rises up into Wyrrabalong National Park, where Blackbutts and Bloodwoods are the dominant trees but on the lower slopes of the hill, Swamp Mahoganys are also located. The latter species are some time off flowering.

Consequently we have hundreds of Rainbow and Musk Lorikeets around the house and throughout Bateau Bay at present and the air is full of the sound of calling Lorikeets. However at 6.20 pm yesterday evening (Monday 13/3/06), in the kitchen we heard flying low over the house the unmistaken "clink, clink" call of the Swift Parrot, there appeared to be two birds. I rush out but could not see them, probably they kept going.

I have often wonder whether when there are many other lorikeest present, will I be able to recognise the call of the Swift Parrots amongst the din of the orther lorikeest when they first arrive! But there was no mistaking the Swift Parrot call after all.

It remains to be be seen whether this was an isolated visit, or whether these are the first of many birds to stay around for the next few months. However this is an ealry date, they usually do not turn up at Bateau Bay until April.

Alan Morris