birding-aus

another digital question

To: <>
Subject: another digital question
From: L&L Knight <>
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2006 12:29:58 +1000
G'day Ian and co.

My two bobs worth is that you don't need a dedicated scanner to get reasonable results. I asked a professional photographer which slide scanner I should get and he had purchased a high end flat bed scanner and recommended I go that way.

I bought a Epson Perfection 4870 photo scanner for $800 about 14 months ago [it was a superseded model]. It can scan up to eight 35 mm slides at once, scan 120 mm positives, scan negatives, and came with photoshop elements. You can scan at different levels of resolution - from memory ~ 4000 dpi, which is definitely more than you need for computer work. The main issue I found is that the scanned images tend to come out on the dark side, and so some need to be lightened on the computer.

The bottom line is how much money you want to spend. You won't get good results from a cheap flatbed scanner, but you may not wish to spend thousands on a dedicated scanner if you don't have thousands of slides to scan and also want to scan negatives, photos, illustrations or text. My advice is to check out the higher quality flatbed scanners [I got mine from Harris Tech]. You may find they suit your needs better.

Of course, which ever way you go, you will need to reduce the size of the files before you email them.

Regards, Laurie.