birding-aus

Vanishing starlings

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Vanishing starlings
From: "Annette Cooke" <>
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2006 15:14:04 -1200
Hullo everyone

I have been reading the sparrow thread with much interest, as I have a case of vanishing starlings, plus sadly, a number of other species.

I have lived in this street in Wellington Point for six years, and there were always starlings in the street with a population of Noisy Miners, Magpie Larks, Magpies, Crested Pigeons, and Brown Honeyeaters, probably being the street residents, with other birds including Lorikeets,Rosellas, and often a pair of Grey Butcherbirds, and others being daily or occasional visitors.

I have not been well and have spent a fair bit of this summer inside in my new airconditioning, but a couple of weeks ago, realised that the starlings had disappeared, along with the Noisy Miners, Crested Pigeons, Brown Honeyeaters, Magpie Larks and Magpies.  The usual number of Lorikeets, Rosellas, Crows etc. pass through, but the others are very conspicuous by their absence.

Now I don't mourn the missing starlings, and some birds are starting to fill in the gap, such as Crested Pigeons.  However, four Common Mynahs were on the roof next door, sussing out the area last night.

The Council Wildlife Officer had no light to shed on the matter.

Annette Cooke