birding-aus

Gheerulla Falls, Mapleton,SEQ and the Superb Fruit Dove!

Subject: Gheerulla Falls, Mapleton,SEQ and the Superb Fruit Dove!
From: David <>
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 21:59:17 +1000
Hello Russ,

I say "here here" on Superb Fruit Dove! Truly my bogey bird for sure!  Having seen just about every non vagrant species possible over Sth East Queensland there is one bird that over many years has evaded me. In fact, as Sean Dooley lamented in his book about the Grey Falcon , I wonder if the bird actually exists!   And yet I know like you, out there will be birders who say how easy it is to see! ......" Yeah mate, ten a penny out my way!"

........Through many a rainforest and scrub, scouring fig trees from the border  to Central and North Queensland, Cape York and beyond - in all the places they are meant to be, but I have, but one of them, never seen!

So I wish you luck on your quest to see a Superb Fruit Dove! And let me know when you do! And I'm sure when I go after it - the coop it will have flown!

David Taylor
Brisbane