birding-aus

Summer birds around Penrith NSW ... and Bayside VIC

To: "Mike Simpson" <>, "'Birding-Aus'" <>
Subject: Summer birds around Penrith NSW ... and Bayside VIC
From: "michael norris" <>
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 17:32:03 +1100
My impressions from down here in Melbourne by Port Phillip Bay are similar to Mike Simpson's from southern coastal NSW.

He said " I was wondering how others had found their birding this summer? Going back through my records of the past few years, the birding around Penrith this year has been very poor (or I have just been out on the wrong days). Apart from ..."

Here we have had few cuckoos or Rufous Fantails for a few years but this time Sacred Kingfishers were missing too. This takes me back to some of my first "contributions" to Birding-Aus in 1997.

Then I learnt to hope that a poor year for me was a sign that things were going better inland. That could be right this time because of the welcome increase in rain in Victoria in 2005.

But how does that explain the records of northern invaders like the Channel-billed Cuckoo here in East Brighton in August last year (with another probable reported the other day from Braeside Park)? Or the Black-backed Magpie in the Black Rock suburb of Bayside?

Michael Norris