birding-aus

Summer birds around Penrith

To: "'Birding-Aus'" <>
Subject: Summer birds around Penrith
From: "Mike Simpson" <>
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2006 10:48:03 +1100
I was wondering how others had found their birding this summer? Going back
through my records of the past few years, the birding around Penrith this
year has been very poor (or I have just been out on the wrong days). Apart
from the various parrots common to this area (Long-billed and Little
Corellas, Rainbow Lorikeets, SC Cockatoos and Red-rumped Parrots) which have
been around as usual.

On walks along my usual riverbank track recently, there has been little to
see, no raptors for weeks except a Black-shouldered Kite on a power pole at
Emu Plains station last night and a Nankeen Kestrel in Jamieson Park on
Sunday.

Far fewer Sacred Kingfishers than usual, although a pair I have been
watching recently now have 3 or 4 young all fledged. Only one Dollarbird
this month.

The young Koel which was being fed by a pair of Little Wattlebirds until
last week was joined by an adult female on Friday, and I have not seen or
heard either since, which would tend to show that Koels do in fact return to
pick their offspring up for the journey North. No more Koels have been heard
since then. Furthermore although there were quite a few adult CB Cuckoos
around early in the season, I have only seen one immature (on a TV antenna
being fed by an Australian Magpie).

A pair of Darters were drying their wings on a snag in the river this
morning, and a Little Pied Cormorant flew past. However, the small swamp in
which I used to regularly see large wading birds has been strangely empty
this year, no Spoonbills, White-necked Herons or Egrets of any type.
Possibly due to better conditions elsewhere?

Regards, Mike Simpson
Penrith, NSW
http://members.optusnet.com.au/ozbirds