birding-aus

Swarovski 65 scopes - a (long) word of caution.

To: "Dr Richard Nowotny" <>
Subject: Swarovski 65 scopes - a (long) word of caution.
From: peter crow <>
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2006 12:14:43 +1000
Richard

The 80mm Swarovski also has a mounting point that is forward of the centre of gravity. It is only a small amount and is seldom a great problem unless one adds a camera or other weighty object to the evepiece.

I have overcome the problem by using a piece of aluminum 40mm x 4mm x about 250mm and mounting the tripods quick release plate to one end. This piece of aluminum has a number of holes at various points along its length and a screw can be inserted to screw into the fixing point of the telescope.

I also fixed a block of the same aluminum bar to set the bar a bit further from the telescope body to avoid possible rubbing. This was attached with two small bolts of the same thread as the screw that fits the telescope mount point. I think it is 1/4 inch. i used the same tap to thread this hole.

Depending on what I am putting on the eyepiece end of the telescope, (small digital camera with a simple tube mount, or a heavy 35mm camera fixed on the Swarovski camera mount which is about 150mm long) I mount the telescope further forward to put everything into balance.

I made this myself with a hand held drill and a thread cutting tap I purchased for about $12. The aluminum cost about $20.

Hope this is of use

Peter