birding-aus

Wildlifing Update: New Zealand-Tiritiri Matangi

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: Wildlifing Update: New Zealand-Tiritiri Matangi
From: Michael Todd <>
Date: Sun, 05 Feb 2006 15:53:56 +1100
Hello all,

I've finally finished my New Zealand section of my website (www.wildlifing.com). In this final part I cover my visit to Tiritiri Matangi Island (off the east coast of the North Island) and the Mt Bruce National Wildlife Centre (southern end of the North Island). Tiritiri is a wonderful place that has been mentioned on birding-aus before I'm sure. The place is throbbing with endangered birds like the Saddleback, Stitchbird, Kaka, Kokako and Takahe. Other birds that are easy to see include Kakariki, Whitehead, Fantail, Grey Warbler, Brown Teal, Brown Quail, Spotless Crake, Swamphen, Tui, Bellbird and Paradise Shelduck.

Some of my most memorable experiences included watching scrapping Stitchbirds, courting Saddlebacks and road-running Kokako! In the last hour before the day's tourists left the island a pair of Takahe brought their chick out to the edge of the long grass to show to everyone. For a bird that has such a fearsome bill the parents were remarkably gentle with their little chick.

Mt Bruce is a remnant of the Forty Mile Bush which once supported the fabulous but now extinct Huia. Mt Bruce is a great place to watch wild Kaka at close range. Apart from these you can watch and listen to captive and tame Kokako. For these reasons alone it is worth a visit. Entry is a reasonable price, especially in comparison to the inflated prices of entry into some geological tourist sites around Rotorua.

Cheers

Mick

--
Michael Todd Wildlifing Images & Sounds of Nature
Latest Additions: New Zealand (Tiritiri Matangi)