birding-aus

Speckled Warblers

To: "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: Speckled Warblers
From: "Craig Doolan" <>
Date: Sat, 4 Feb 2006 17:58:50 +1000

There is a family of resident Speckled Warblers right on the coast near the mouth of Hilliard’s Creek in Wellington Point, southern Brisbane.  I have actually seen them foraging in the Avicennia marina (Grey Mangrove) and I believe they nested in a fallen down wattle just metres from the mangroves.  I haven’t seen them for a while but it’s been a while since I visited the back areas of Station St Wetlands in Wellington Point where they seem to mostly occur.  The most birds I ever recorded at one time was three but there is a fair bit of rarely covered territory here so there could be more.  The mouth area of Hilliard’s Creek is a surprisingly interesting and rich area when you get in poke around, I once found two Brown Goshawk and one Pacific Baza nests on the one morning, also a good spot for Mangrove Honeyeater and I’ve seen the odd Collared Kingfisher.

Craig Doolan