birding-aus

Hot fantail

To: "'Colin Driscoll'" <>, "'Birding-Aus'" <>
Subject: Hot fantail
From: "Tony Russell" <>
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2006 08:19:47 +1030
This reminds me of one day when a group of us very intrepid SA birders
were at Yumbarra CP north of Ceduna in 48 degs C, chasing after
Scarlet-chested Parrots. We found the parrots Ok, but on the way back we
noticed lots of Pied Honeyeaters flitting up from the sides of the road
as we drove past. Closer inspection found that they were trying to get
out of the heat by sheltering in two inch deep depressions they had made
in the sandy ground in the shade ( what there was of it) of the roadside
vegetation. We assumed that the sand was slightly cooler this far below
the surface and that somehow the birds were aware of this.

Colin's experience below sounds like the same survival trick in
Fantails.

Tony