birding-aus

Hot fantail

To: "Colin Driscoll" <>, "'Birding-Aus'" <>
Subject: Hot fantail
From: "Ricki Coughlan" <>
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2006 19:58:21 +1100
Hi All

I observed this frequently in Broome when the temperature would hit around 45 degrees in the shade on the odd occassion. In this case it was the Yellow White-eyes. The little fellows would die of window strike on these days and I observed much risk taking behaviour around raptors in bird baths, etc.. Most interesting was how they would gather among the buttresses of trees or in any hollow they could find. Usually cramming in 1/2 a dozen or more at a time. I too, have photos, as they were most approachable under these circumstances.

Actually, I used to take pity and devised a "birdy shower" for them. They loved it on these really hot days and more than once shared it in very close company with "chook", one of our resident Brown Goshawks. Chook obviously had a moritorium on eating white-eyes on such days and the white-eyes appeared to take it as a given.

Happy Birding
Ricki