birding-aus

GPS useage

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: GPS useage
From: Stephen Selden <>
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2006 18:03:33 +1100 (EST)
I think you do have to watch those older units.  I
took the Magellan pioneer off for a test run going out
to Young and tested it against my Garmin GPS 72.  It
did fine except for altitude reading.  It also had
more difficulty starting up after taking it over a
fairly large distance while off.  This was its problem
to start with - initialising according to entry of
Country and state and then having it work from a point
over 400 km away from where I actually was.  This unit
had trouble.  It might work fine in the US where their
states are smaller.  Warming it up and taking it up a
hill with clear skies helped it along tremendously.

Its instructions say 30 seconds without batteries
clears its memory.

The lithium battery was meant to solve this.  This
unit predates those!

New units do not have battery memory but "permanent"
memory.

Even though I found this older unit reliable once
started, I can see how it had caused problems.  I was
told some local ornithologists here in the ACT came to
grips with some of these models and I am going to
chase it up in case units that are disused can find
some good use after all.

- Stephen