birding-aus

Collared Sparrowhawk in Royal Park Melb?

To: Birding-Aus <>
Subject: Collared Sparrowhawk in Royal Park Melb?
From: Paul Jacobson <>
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2006 08:55:05 +1100
Hi All,

I'm wondering if anyone can confirm a sighting of a Collared Sparrowhawk in the Royal Park? My partner and I have seen what we think is a Collared Sparrowhawk in 1st year plumage on two occassions this week - Tuesday morning and again this morning. Both sightings were in the treed area to the south the path that runs parallel to Flemington Rd behind the Childrens Hospital.

On the first occasion the CS was seen fighting with a group of 5 Galahs and attacking Common Mynas. The CS was seen close to the Galah's which allowed a good comparison of size. The CS seemed to be about the same size or marginally smaller that the Galah's, which we think eliminates a Brown Goshawk as a possibility. The other feature which make us think it is a CS is that the tail when perched is squared with a slight "v" notch; in flight the "v" notch is much more pronounced and the end of the tail is squared.

cheers
Paul