birding-aus

Wheeney Ck - Wollemi NP

To: birding aus <>
Subject: Wheeney Ck - Wollemi NP
From: David Stowe Photography <>
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2006 09:01:09 +1100
Had a great overnight camp after work on Saturday and Sunday at Wheeney Creek in Wollemi NP – approx 80km NW of Sydney. (Along Comleroy Rd from Kurrajong)
At first we though we were in for a terrible time as there was a large group of young guys near us who had blaring music and a mountain of empty beer bottles! Fortunately they were only there for the afternoon and come dark they shoved off. Yay!
>From then on it was relaxing by the creek watching the birds go by and trying to hear anything beyond the Bell Miners!!
Highlights were:
3 Glossy Black Cockatoos
Family of Gang Gang Cockatoos (including dependant young) flying around camp
Yellow-tailed Black Cockatoos
White-headed Pigeon
(flying past)
Feeding family of Brown Cuckoo-Doves who were surprisingly “tame”
Superb Lyrebird (calling)

Up on the top of the ridge we had great views of
Chesnut-rumped Heathwren
White-eared Honeyeater
Yellow-tufted Honeyeater
Mistletoebird
Eastern Spinebill

Other common birds around camp were
Bell Miner
Lewins Honeyeater
Grey Fantail
White-throated Treecreeper
Sacred Kingfisher
Channel-billed Cuckoo
Satin Bowerbird
(young male collecting yellow/orange leaves!!)

All in all a very relaxing 24 hours less than an hour from my place!

David Stowe