birding-aus

Hooded Plover

Subject: Hooded Plover
From: Darryl Morgan <>
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2006 10:00:25 +1100
Thanks Val for the invaluable info regarding the behaviour of the parent Hooded Plover during incubation and the requirements of the hatchling during the first 5 days. It makes me less inclined now to observe and photograph these birds. I was watching these birds and I noticed even at what I thought was a safe distance (20M) they had the typical head bob behaviour that they were nervous and uneasy. As for the Red-capped Plover, I've photographed these birds before and have had them approach me at a distance of 4M. So they're very nervy in comparison.
"I haven't studied Red-capped Plover so am not sure what you mean."
Well what other people that I've spoken to have observed Red-capped Plover (female) displaying an act of being injured and leading the person away from the nest. Is that what the Hooded Plover does aswell? Is that what all Plovers do? Hopefully if they were incubating eggs yesterday that they weren't left for too long. What is the ideal temperature for incubation? It wasn't an overly hot day yesterday, so they might be ok.

"What beach were you on? The Hooded Plovers I monitor, as part of the Friends of the Mornington Peninsula Hooded Plover group, are those on Koonya and Montfort beaches."

That's funny I went down pretty much to every beach yesterday, including Koonya. I managed to get myself lost on the paths going back to Spray Point Rd, so I didn't bother going to Montfort. Out of all the beaches I saw on the backbeach side I thought these looked the most ideal. They looked more quite than the others. The beach that I found them was actually in Point Nepean right at the tip on the foreshore, near Cattle Jetty. Their area seemed to be from Cattle Jetty all the way to The Bend.

Regards
Darryl