birding-aus

Homebush Bay Wetlands - 7th January 2006

To: "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Homebush Bay Wetlands - 7th January 2006
From: "Edwin Vella" <>
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2006 13:53:50 +1100

I did my first birding for 2006 this morning (7/1/06) with Lorne Johnson spending a couple of hours at both Mason and Bicentennial Parks near Strathfield (both areas approx. 10km west of Sydney CBD).

At Mason Park we saw 2 Marsh, 30 plus Sharp-tailed and 20 plus Curlew Sandpipers in with 14 Red-necked Avocets, several Pied Stilts (separate pairs seen with chicks and eggs on nest) and one Red-kneed Dotterel.

At Bicentennial Park we saw a very unusual looking Teal (this may be same one I had there on my previous visit about 4 years ago being a golden brown colour except for its brown head). Also seen here were another 65 Red-necked Avocets, a Striated (Mangrove) Heron and unusually a Glossy Ibis seen in the mangroves. Lorne and I were talking about the Glossy Ibis reported on NSW Birdline at Bicentennial Park when it had started to rain. I then said to Lorne we better duck down under some mangroves for shelter from the rain and as soon as we did, Lorne spotted that Glossy Ibis straight in front of him in the mangroves. It’s amazing how you talk about a bird and then it appears immediately after mentioning it. Both Lorne and I have had this experience a number of times. Has this happened to other birdo’s?

Hopefully 2006 brings on some more interesting sightings.

Edwin