birding-aus

A last fling in 2005

To: <>
Subject: A last fling in 2005
From: "Tom and Mandy Wilson" <>
Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2005 16:44:02 +1100
Hi all
I had an early morning out visiting a few sites in Sydney's northern beaches
this morning to try and add a few more species to my 2005 list, which
finished up at 234 (assuming nothing unusual shows up outside my house in
the next 7 1/2 hours!)  As I didn't get any further out of NSW than Brisbane
(for work) and Canberra this year, probably not a bad total, although not a
patch on Mr Dooley's efforts, whose book I am saving for my holiday soon.  I
visited Long Reef (it was very misty/sea fog and the tide was in, so I could
see hardly anything on the rock platform as it was like looking through a
silver curtain!) and Dee Why Lagoon and then a quick visit to Deep Creek
Reserve on Narrabeen Lakes.  At that point it was 9am, very humid, and I had
to get back home.

My best sightings were:
Swamp Harrier at Dee Why (sitting on a dead branch in one of the channels at
the west side of the lagoon) - no wonder all the gulls and Masked Plovers
seemed flighty
Excellent display flights from a Golden Headed Cisticola at Dee Why
60+ White Throated Needletails at Deep Creek
Poss imm Brush Cuckoo at Deep Creek - it had barring all the way down its
chest belly and variegated markings all over its back, not the plain brown
that I'd associate with an immature Fan Tailed
Cicadabird at Deep Creek
Osprey flying very close to Collaroy beach, clutching something in its
talons

Cheers and Happy New Year to the whole list
Tom Wilson