birding-aus

Wildlifing Update- New Zealand- Kapiti Island

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: Wildlifing Update- New Zealand- Kapiti Island
From: Michael Todd <>
Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2005 16:15:29 +1100
Hello all,

I've put the first selection of my New Zealand photos up on my website. This first part covers mostly Kapiti Island, an island off the south-west coast of the North Island that has had all the introduced predators removed and some endangered bird species added. Some of the birds on Kapiti include Little Spotted Kiwi (no photographs), Takahe, Stitchbird, Saddleback, Brown Teal and Weka.

I had a wonderful 5 weeks in NZ. I won't go into detail in this email but I saw and photographed most of my target species which I'll put up on the site in stages. 2 species of kiwi, Takahe, Stitchbird, Saddleback, Weka, Yellowhead etc. I went very close to missing Blue Duck (only saw a pair on my last couple of days in NZ). I was rained out while looking for Great Spotted Kiwi- good reason to go back again!

Overall impressions were scenery- spectacular (particularly on the South Island). Native wildlife unfortunately in low abundance in most places that I visited on the 2 main islands. The difference between the offshore islands and the 2 main islands in terms of bird abundance is very noticeable. By visiting the offshore islands you get an insight into what NZ might once have been like. I assume that the low abundance is caused by introduced predators- stoats seem to be regarded as enemy number 1.

Back in Australia: On Channel-bills and Currawongs. There has been a couple of immature Channel-bills camped in the backyard here at Toronto (central coast NSW) over the last couple of weeks. The Pied Currawongs tending them have been flat out keeping the food up to them!

Cheers

Mick Todd

--
Michael Todd Wildlifing Images & Sounds of Nature
Latest Additions: New Zealand (Kapiti Island- Weka, Takahe, Saddleback.....)