birding-aus

Yellow Tailed Black Cockatoos

To: "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: Yellow Tailed Black Cockatoos
From: "George Oakes" <>
Date: Mon, 26 Dec 2005 11:04:28 +1100
We have a large bird bath about 900mm across about 10m. from our back door on the edge of the escarpment with Blue Mountains National Park adjoining. This morning we saw a family of 3 YTBC come into the trees near the bird bath. The juvenile male went to the bird bath, stood on the side and tried to drink but just played with the water. The mother then went to the bird bath and showed the juvenile how to drink by filling its bill with water, then tilting its head so the water ran down its throat. It did this twice then flew off to a nearby tree. The father then flew in and took several sips tilting its head each time. We then saw the juvenile copy its parents taking a sip of water then tilting its head.

This morning we have had a procession on birds on the bird bath - magpies, red wattle birds, sulphur crested cockatoos, grey butcher birds, rainbow lorikeets, satin bowerbirds and crested pigeons. Yesterday afternoon we also had several gang gangs. In the last few days we have also had brown cuckoo doves and a white headed pigeon.

It is a beautiful sunny morning here at Woodford in the Blue Mountains, 80 kms. west of Sydney with no wind and a temp. of 18deg.

George Oakes