birding-aus

FW: [BIRDING-AUS] Red-necked Phalarope & Pectoral Sandpipers in Victoria

To: "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: FW: [BIRDING-AUS] Red-necked Phalarope & Pectoral Sandpipers in Victoria.
From: "Edwin Vella" <>
Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2005 13:44:58 +1100

-----Original Message-----
From:
 On Behalf Of Mike Carter
Sent: Wednesday, 21 December 2005 4:45 PM
To: BIRDING-AUS; BA VicGroup Sightings; Bill Ramsay; Steele William
Cc: Sean Dooley; Andrew Silcocks; Jacqui & Rob; Barry Ross
Subject: Red-necked Phalarope & Pectoral Sandpipers in
Victoria.

Whilst doing their monthly survey this morning, Sean Dooley & Andrew
Silcocks found a Red-necked Phalarope at Seaford Wetlands/Swamp SE of
Melbourne. I managed some distant photographs of it about an hour later.
This is the first record of this species that I know of for the wetlands
SE
of Melbourne and perhaps for anywhere in Victoria east of Melbourne! It
was
on the east side of the wetland. Access is via Wells Rd from the north
or
Austin Rd then Francis St from the south, see MELWAY map 97 G3.
Park at the end of Greaves Avenue (or walk from Seaford Station).Then
walk
some 400 m north along the pedestrian/cycle track to Gate 8. It is
labelled
and has come off its bottom hinge. Step over, or crawl under, the
padlocked
chain to enter. The wader habitat, with Black-winged Stilts and
Sharp-tailed
Sandpipers, is < 150 m directly ahead of you facing west but due to tall
vegetation, may not be visible. The easiest way to the edge of the
water,
less spiky juncus, is to move about 40 m N of the gate and head for two
posts near the waters edge about a gate width apart. I saw it from
there.

The waders in the area are very mobile at present moving freely between
at
least four sites. Last Saturday 17 December, I found a Pectoral
Sandpiper
among 130 Sharpies just 2 km from the Seaford site at Boundary Rd
Wetland
which is viewed from the junction of Rossiter and Boundary Roads, see
Melway
98 C10. Access is permitted but make sure you shut all gates.

On Saturday 10 December, Rohan Clarke found two Pectoral Sands among 200
Sharpies at Port Fairy in western Victoria on the small wetland with a
hide
adjacent the coast just through the town.

Mike Carter
30 Canadian Bay Road
Mt Eliza    VIC     3930
Ph:  (03) 9787 7136