birding-aus

A year on the swamp - Altona VIC

Subject: A year on the swamp - Altona VIC
From: Colin Clark <>
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 10:23:43 +0000 (GMT)
We moved into our house adjacent to Truganina Swamp in West Altona one year ago.  During this time I have recorded 117 species on foot from home.  The habitat is primarily wetlands and grassland with a few small trees and a creek that leads out to the sea so I have access to a fair diversity of species.  I think there are around 10-20 other species that I may pick up at some stage.  Anyway here is the list........

Australasian Grebe  Uncommon
Hoary-headed Grebe  Regular
Australian Pelican  Common sometimes in large numbers
Australian Gannet  Uncommon over Sea
Little Black Cormorant  Regular
Great Cormorant   Uncommon
Pied Cormorant   Common
Little Pied Cormorant  Common
White-necked Heron  1-2 present for 2 weeks in August
Great Egret   Common
Intermediate Egret  Seen once in January on main pool
White-faced Heron  Common
Little Egret   Common
Cattle Egret   Occasional
Rufous Night-Heron  Seen once in January between main pool and Laverton Ck
Australasian Bittern  One seen in flight 5th December
Australian Ibis   Fairly common sometimes in large numbers
Straw-necked Ibis  Seasonally common
Royal Spoonbill   Fairly common
Yellow-billed Spoonbill  Occasional
Black Swan   Common
Australian Shelduck  Fairly common
Maned Duck   Uncommon
Gray Teal   Common
Chestnut Teal   Common
Pacific Black Duck  Common
Australian Shoveler  Uncommon
Pink-eared Duck   Seen on 1-2 occasions on water treatment plant
Hardhead   Uncommon
Black-shouldered Kite  Common more so in winter
Whistling Kite   Uncommon
Swamp Harrier   Common more so in winter
Spotted Harrier   Seen once - fine male over Laverton Ck 17th July
Brown Goshawk   Uncommon
Little Eagle   Uncommon
Australian Kestrel  Uncommon
Australian Hobby  Fairly common
Brown Falcon   Uncommon
Peregrine Falcon  Seen on 3-4 occasions
Brown Quail   Common but secretive
Buff-banded Rail  Common but secretive
Purple Swamphen   Uncommon
Dusky Moorhen   Common on Mt St Josephs pond
Eurasian Coot   Common on water treatment plant
Pied Oystercatcher  Commonly seen at mouth of Laverton Ck
Sooty Oystercatcher  Uncommon seen at mouth of Laverton Ck
Black-winged Stilt  Common
Red-necked Avocet  Good numbers present throughout June
Masked Lapwing   Common
Red-kneed Dotterel  Uncommon
Red-capped Plover  Common in summer behind main pool
Double-banded Plover  Seen once at mouth Laverton Creek 12th June
Black-fronted Dotterel  Seen once beside mouth Laverton Creek - probably regular
Latham's Snipe   One pair seen in flight 6th December
Marsh Sandpiper   Erratic but seen on several occasions in summer
Common Greenshank  Common in summer
Red-necked Stint  Common in late summer
Sharp-tailed Sandpiper  Common in summer - one seen on saltworks winter
Curlew Sandpiper  Uncommon
Pacific Gull   Common near sea
Silver Gull   Common
Great Crested Tern  Common near sea
Whiskered Tern   Common in summer
Rock Dove   Sky-rats
Spotted Dove   Common
Crested Pigeon   Common
Galah Fairly    Common
Sulphur-crested Cockatoo Fairly common
Rainbow Lorikeet  Common
Musk Lorikeet   Seasonally common
Little Lorikeet   Rare
Purple-crowned Lorikeet  Uncommon
Crimson Rosella   Seen once in street in October
Eastern Rosella   Seen on 2-3 occasions
Red-rumped Parrot  Generally uncommon but regular near baseball stadium
Brush Cuckoo   Seen once in September
Fan-tailed Cuckoo  Seen once in October
Horsfield's Bronze-Cuckoo Seen on 4-5 occasions in Spring
Barn Owl   Seen 2 consecutive evenings 31st Aug 1st Sep
Southern Boobook  Seen once by the house 16th Aug
White-throated Nightjar  Seen once by the house 4th Apr
Singing Bushlark  Uncommon
Sky Lark   Common
Welcome Swallow   Common
Tree Martin   Rare
Fairy Martin   Uncommon
Australasian Pipit  Fairly common
Eurasian Blackbird  Common
Song Thrush   Uncommon
Golden-headed Cisticola  Common but not always showing
Clamorous Reed-Warbler  Commonly in summer
Little Grassbird  Common
Willie-wagtail   Common
Gray Fantail   Seasonally common
Flame Robin   Seasonally common
Crested Shrike-tit  Seen once by Laverton Ck Dec 2004
Golden Whistler   Female in the garden (lost record of date)
Superb Fairywren  Common
White-browed Scrubwren  Seen on 2-3 occasions
Striated Fieldwren  Uncommon
Yellow-rumped Thornbill  Common
White-fronted Chat  Common
Silver-eye   Uncommon
Singing Honeyeater  Uncommon mostly seen near sea
White-plumed Honeyeater  Common
New Holland Honeyeater  Common
Red Wattlebird   Common
Little Wattlebird  Seasonally fairly common
Magpie-lark   Common
Australasian Magpie  Common
Little Raven   Common
Common Myna   Common