birding-aus

Racecourse Lagoon, Uralla

Subject: Racecourse Lagoon, Uralla
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 21:00:27 +1100
Yesterday morning (Sunday) I visited the smaller of our two lagoons here in
 Uralla (NSW). This is Racecourse Lagoon, which spent about three years as a dry
 paddock, but is now fast filling up from the continual rains we have been
 having.
 Much of this water still has thigh-high vegetation growing up through it, so
 that it is hard to see many of the birds present. On open water there were good
 numbers of Grey Teal and Shoveler, with a few Black Duck and Australasian
 Grebes, some of which were nesting. There were 3 Pacific Herons, as well as
 numerous White-faced Herons, and many Whiskered Terns joined the Welcome
 Swallows and Fairy Martins hawking insects over the surface. While there is
 prima facie evidence that the terns are breeding, it is hard in the
 circumstances to get confirmation of this until there are young to be seen.
 Cisticolas were calling all round the lagoon, a Swamp Harrier three times went
 down to the same spot in the vegetation, suggesting a possible nest, and a
 Little Eagle passed high overhead.
 Altogether something of a return to its former glory.
 John Clifton-Everest