birding-aus

SA - ALDINGA - Oriental Pratincole

To: "Neville Hudson" <>, "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: SA - ALDINGA - Oriental Pratincole
From: "John Turner" <>
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 18:31:36 +1030
Hi All,
Managed to break our recent drought and twitch Neville's Oriental Pratincole
this afternoon at about 4pm. We initially viewed it from the west when it
moved about quite a bit and we could see the coppery flash under the wing in
the afternoon sun,  but the  heat shimmer in this distant view prevented
detail of frontal colours. Moving to Neville's southerly view brought a much
clearer view of the facial markings, but the bird stayed in a depression and
did not move from it. A scope is a distinct advantage.

Black-winged Stilts have 4 fluffy tail-less young, and there were 4 Cape
Barren Geese as well.

Neville's directions to approach the area and description of the best
viewing area are spot on. Rowley Rd is west of the new subdivision and on an
S-bend on Aldinga Rd.

Only my second sighting of O P, the first being at Kidneybean on Roebuck
Plain with Joy Tansey in 2003!

Many thanks to Neville for drawing our attention to it.

John & Nancy Turner
Adelaide