birding-aus

RE: Oriental Pratincole

To: "'Neville Hudson'" <>
Subject: RE: Oriental Pratincole
From: "Tony Russell" <>
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 14:30:33 +1030
Looks like the same bird we saw this morning. Went there with 6 others and found it still there, right opposite the east end of the lignum in hart Rd. on a bank part way across the water. Had good scope views but it was a bit hard to see with binos as it mostly stayed down in a dip with just it's head poking up catching flies. The cattle and Cape Barrens stirred it a few times and we had whole body views as it walked around. Once they had passed it went back down into the dip.

My GPS fix at the end of the lignum was 35 17 13.1 e, 138 27 39.3s.. You were probably a little bit further west looking through the gap in the lignum?

Others present were Lyn & Terry Gould, Burt May, Bob Sothman, Roly Lloyd, and Enid Pascoe.  Watched it from ca 9.10 thru 10.55 a.m.

Not a tick but an excellent bird for South Oz. Once again thanks for the info.

Tony Russell