birding-aus

Nature Australia

To: birding aus <>
Subject: Nature Australia
From: Russell Woodford <>
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2005 17:35:00 +1100
Here's a copy of the email I sent to Frank Howarth, director of the Australian Museum, and the one reported to be in favour of closing Nature Australia.
Dear Director, I write as a representative of hundreds of Australian birdwatchers, in the hope that something can be done to save Nature Australia. I am shocked to hear via a science teachers' mailing list, as well as through the online resources of News Ltd, that the Museum Trustees will vote tomorrow evening on whether or not to close this vital publication. I acknowledge that this journal may be losing money for the Museum, but I understand that promotion of the journal has been quite limited since it was removed from newstand circulation last year.

Whilst 600 ardent birdwatchers might not make your journal financially viable overnight, I plead with you to put the fate of Nature Australia into the hands of the Australian public by making one last concerted, determined and well-publicised effort to boost subscriptions.

To this end, I will commit to a subscription myself, and strongly encourage the 600+ readers of Birding-Aus to do the same, and hope that they will find many more subscribers amongst their colleagues and friends.

Please give Nature Australia another chance!

I hope a few Birding-Aus readers will take the trouble to email him as well, and promise a few subscriptions! I don't normally approve of commercial business on birding-aus, but I think this is an exception, so please encourage your friends and colleagues to subscribe to Nature Australia if it is given another lease of life. Quite a few other organisations seem to be taking up the cause as well.

Russell Woodford
Birding-Aus List Owner